Tuesday, February 7, 2012

GALACTIC ALIGNMENT: STUFF AND NONSENSE

The fabled “Galactic Alignment,” which will cause the “pole shifts, earthquakes, solar flares, magnetic field reversals and other disasters,” is supposed to occur – wait for it – in 2012!

Well, of course it is! In fact, December 21, 2012 figures prominently into all of this stuff and nonsense.

There’s this theory that when the sun and earth aligned with a black hole in the center of the Milky Way, the so-called galactic alignment will take place. Now, the universe is gigantic and the Milky Way, of which our solar system and, hence, the earth is a part, is huge, so let’s do the math. We all know that the earth is about 93 million miles from the sun; too far for a solar flare to reach us as previously mentioned. Well, the black hole in the middle of the Milky Way is more than 156 QUADRILLION miles away. That’s 156,260,000,000,000,000 miles. Some how, this alignment is going to create all manner of havoc?

OK, I’m no scientist. I avoided physics and chemistry in high school and college for a good reason. They terrified me. Seriously. Scary stuff that made no sense to me what so ever. I like to say that I was born without a science gene (and, for that matter, without an athletic gene, either). I was more enamored with Edward R. Murrow and Douglas Edwards than I was with Albert Einstein and Wernher von Braun. Shakespeare was far more comprehensible than Robert Goddard. Still, with such a cowardly attitude and a serious lack of science education, I believe I am safe when I say that at 156,260,000,000,000,000 miles away from a black hole we should not – I repeat NOT – worry about aligning with it. At that distance, heaven only knows what else we’re aligned with and thus far, nothing has happened to our planet.  

Consequently, as doomsday theories go, alignment with a black hole in the center of the Milky Way, really comes off as inane and stupid. Seriously, seriously stupid! And you know the old saying: “You can't fix stupid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment