Friday, February 17, 2012

UNICORNS AT THE END OF DAYS


It’s easier to believe in unicorns than End of Days. At least for me. Magic is cool, unicorns are kinda cool – a bit girlish, I think, and I admit a minotaur would be way cooler – and, let’s face it, only a real stick-in-the-mud wouldn’t want to go to school at Hogwarts.

Camomile Hixon, a New York City pop artist, was riding on a subway train one morning studying the grim, bitter, weary faces of her traveling companions. She asked herself what she would have to do to get these glum, grumpy people to smile?

Her answer? “What if I could get Wall Street to think about unicorns for three seconds?”

Thus was born the famous “Missing Unicorn” poster. (I know, I know, I’ve never heard of it either.)

On Halloween night, 2010, Camomile and some friends spread 1500 Missing Unicorn posters the length and breadth of Manhattan. Then the group spread out and watched people’s reactions to the posters.

Camomile recounted one particular incident in Battery Park: “We ran into a posse of kids who first appeared to be on the street intending to intimidate. I could feel them watching me put up a poster. When I walked away, they ran up to it. Then they whipped around and looked at me with huge beautiful smiles on their faces. There was such joy! The unicorn was like an olive branch. We could all agree that this was something entertaining and fun. They all ended up high-fiving me!”

Although the posters quickly vanished, a reporter from the Los Angeles Times happened to be in New York. She saw the poster and wrote a story about it. The interest in the unicorn was so intense, that Camomile’s Missing Unicorn Website (http://missingunicorn.com/) and hotline received and continues to receive thousands of calls from around the world about the absent unicorn.

Camomile’s father-in-law, Lex Hixon, a renowned spiritual leader, once told her that “the most evolved manifestation of the human being is the child’s heart.” Reminding herself of that every day, she adds: “We need to have wonderment to evolve. Once that’s gone we’ve lost the magic of what life can be.”

So, you’re probably asking yourself, what the hell does all this have to do with the End of the World?

Nothing, really. It just seemed to me that if the world was going to end, wouldn’t be better to have a smile on your face thinking about unicorns rather than solar flares and rogue planets?

No comments:

Post a Comment